Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Mom Visits Kindy

At the kindy that my Caden went to last year (and Marin goes to now) they allow the parents to sign up to come to school for a day.  You have the option of just playing with the kids, reading a story or bringing an activity.  Since it was December, and I was doing my best to get into the Christmas Spirit, despite the hot, humid weather, I decided to share an art project with the class.  Last year in The States, we made salt dough ornaments.  If you're interested in the recipe click here.  I decided to recycle the idea and help the kids at Gaythorne make a Christmas keepsake.

Here we are at drop off.  This school has a great tradition of sitting in a circle with all the parents and singing a little good morning song to start off the day.

Caden and his Star Wars buddy Miles.  

The boy crew playing Legos.

More boy play on the back patio.

The art table set up.  I know you can't see the ornamants very well, but I purchased special Australian cookie cutters in a pack that came with a kangaroo, a koala and the shape of the continent. I also wish I could tell you how hard it was for this OCD girl to watch the neatly separated paints turn into one dark shade of blue-ish, black-ish, green-ish yuck.  

Intent on their ornaments.

Caden, Miles & Paddy.

Reading time.

The boys having morning tea.

Here is the class jumping around to their class Christmas song - Six White Boomers. We were introduced to this Aussie Christmas classic this year, and my kids went nuts over it.  Such a great story and song about Santa needing to call on six white boomers or "roos" to take him across Australia because it was too hot for his reindeer.

Quick break form the dancing for a pic with his buddy Paddy.

And then more dancing!

And more dancing!

And before I left, I grabbed a quick pic of Caden with his two great teachers - Ms. Kim & Ms. Dyson.

It was so much fun to see the school in this way.  I enjoyed getting to know the kids on a different level and learning a little about their personalities.  It also gave me much better perspective on how much patience and energy it takes to keep up with these little people and my appreciation of teachers and how they maintain control over their classrooms grew exponentially.  I am so thankful for Gaythorne Kindy, as they have been a great place to welcome me and my kids into the Australian culture.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post, Jennifer! The classroom is so fun and colorful!!!

    And I LOVE the ornaments y'all made. I might have to do that this Christmas... actually maybe we'll do it for St. Patrick's Day. Hmmmm, wonder if I have a shamrock cookie cutter somewhere...

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Australia is not going to want you to leave! Fun that you did the ornaments with Caden's class. And I have never heard of the cookbook - will have to look into it! We don't eat any processed foods these days, so I am up for new recipes constantly. Always trying to get as many veggies as possible in this family's belly...

    Need to call you back and catch up! Sorry I haven't done that yet!

    ReplyDelete