Saturday, March 19, 2011

Aussie Christmas Events

Christmas this year was so strange for us.  I kept waiting for it to get cooler, and guess what, it didn't.  I'm used to Texas, where you can literally go from an 80 degree day to freezing weather overnight, so it wasn't out of the question to be looking for the temperature to drop, it just doesn't happen that way over here being on the southern side of the hemisphere!  So, we tried to do several Christmas-y things in order to "catch the spirit" as my grandmother used to say. The season started out quite busy, which IS normal for us, and then when we learned about my dad's passing, things quickly quieted down, as our focus switched to making arrangements for me to travel home to be with my family.

At the beginning of December, the City Council put on a big show in King George Square to kick off the holiday season by lighting the Brisbane Christmas Tree. Known as the largest solar powered Christmas Tree in Australia (and possibly the southern hemisphere) the 20 metre tree was fitted with 15 solar panels, collecting 3000 watts of electricity each day to power over 16,000 LED lights.  Whew.
The celebration had plenty of music, entertainment by the Queensland Ballet and a speech by the Lord Mayor.

At the train station on our way into the city.  Can someone please tell me why the one and probably only time in my children's lives when they actually do as I ask and pose pleasantly for a photo together, it has to be at the train station?

The tree when we arrived...

...and voila.
 The Heitzmanns

 The Pearse Family

Later that same weekend, Caden's kindy hosted their annual Christmas party BBQ sausage sizzle.  The rain held off just enough to actually continue with the festivities.  

Waiting in the sand pit for Santa to arrive.  I wish the intended subjects of this photo were actually in focus...I love the intensity of their face war.

The man of the hour appears complete with a new, slender look and board shorts!

Didn't matter to these kids, they were excited.

 Caden and our Aussie Santa. Love the Sandals!

Marin & Amelia intently telling Santa their Christmas secrets.

Santa brings books for all of the kids to unwrap.

 Marin's book from Santa.

So nice to have a few activities that made everyone feel more like Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. The picture in the train station is AWESOME! I love the look of it... until I read your caption, I thought you posed them with the yellow and gray background on purpose! Such a cool photo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a great weekend (and the wine in the brown paper bag:)

    ReplyDelete