Tuesday, March 22, 2011

For There is No Friend Like a Sister...

I want to remember this time period of setting into our Australian life as the time period where my two girls became friends.  Their big personalities don't always mesh well, but they are learning to play with each other more and more, and sometimes even enjoy it.  You can see little Hallie look up to Marin as her big sister and it's hilarious to watch yet another, but different version of Pete & Repeat.  Since her third birthday, Marin has really settled into a sweet and loving personality, which comes across most of the time when interacting with her baby sister. Hallie on the other hand, doesn't know the meaning of little and is always ready to follow Marin into the big girl plays she comes up with. Recently Hallie has started making up her own song about "oh sister I love you" and just today she said "Marin's my friend."  If those aren't the things that makes being a mommy worth all the blood, sweat and tears, then I don't know what is.

Being only 13.5 months apart, these girls will potentially spend a lot of their lives in similar groups, have similar friends and will hopefully share many clothes and shoes (without the drama).  Raising them for the past two years, was almost, yes almost, like having twins at many times and the two of them have definitely given me a run for my money as a mommy.  I'll be the first to admit that there have been many days where I simply felt like I could not do it. But somehow, the moments when it all comes washing over you as you see your children interacting and taking care of one another, really do make the difficult times and the discipline and the pulling your hair out all worth it.

I always wanted a sister, and used to beg my mom to have another baby.  I'm so glad that these two girls will have each other to rely on for the rest of their lives.  I pray daily that they have a close relationship and feel blessed by each other.





These girls have taught me more about love and friendship than anyone I can remember.  I cherish them both for their special-ness and their very different and unique personalities.  It's pure joy when a parent can actually find the time to sit back and watch their children grow into happy, loving little people. 

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet post. It made me teary. They are beautiful girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post, they are so cute and such great little mates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! Especially because I too wanted a sister. Love that these sweet girls are becoming friends. And the Santa post in shorts and sandals no less...oh my word! Don't even know what to say. Love catching up in your world with these past few blog posts! No more pennies, wearing sunnies, but...no Beth Moore. Miss you, friend!

    ReplyDelete