Friday, May 7, 2010

Last Night in the States

Well, it's our last night on American soil for a while, and I thought I'd put down a few thoughts since everyone wants to know "where we are" right now -  as in physically, spiritually, emotionally, mentally...Unfortunately, I really only have two words: "We're tired".  That's the physical part. 

The past three months seem like a juxtaposition of warp speed and time standing still. We have done more and worked harder since February 18th, when we made our decision to take the offer in Brisbane, than I can ever remember working before.  I can truly say this has been the hardest thing I have ever had to do.  We have had more late nights than I had in college, and forget about r-&-r, the tasks have been one on top of each other.  

But don't think that I'm complaining.  I'm not.  Spiritually, we are at the top of our game.  Eyes and ears wide open for what the Lord has in store for us.  This adventure ahead is not one for the faint of heart...even though there are days when I think I fit that description.  We have seen God's hand in so much of this process and have felt the prayers that our praying friends have lifted up on our behalf. 

But, even with the prayers and presence we have felt, it doesn't take away the bittersweet pain of having to say goodbye to a chapter of our life.  It's been difficult to close the door to the only house we've ever owned, and hug our first adult pastor goodbye.  I've cried as we left the kids preschool for the last time and finished the Bible Study where I've grown as a mom and woman. It has seemed unreal to hug some of the best girlfriends I've ever had knowing the distance between our next hug.  Every day I fight the urge to cancel it all and just sit tight in our blessed little life.  But I know that's not what this is about.  It's time to stretch, and that means saying farewell.  

Which brings me to the mental part.  Here's where I can say we're excited.  It's new.  It's fresh.  And Brisbane looks like a great place to be.  I've heard Australia is filled with wonderful, friendly people (a lot like Texas).  And the activities, oh the activities.  We can't wait to try them ALL out.  I will leave you with a shot of our new hometown.  At least for the next four years...

1 comment:

  1. Woke up in the middle of the night last night and started praying for you already in flight. Hope the transition is smooth and you meet wonderful friends quickly!

    ReplyDelete